Monday, September 11, 2006

Solid Weekend

It is no secret that baseball is, by far and wide, my favorite sport. No other game captures the essence of man quite like it. Is there another game where the strategy changes sometimes 130 times in a game, after each pitch? Give me the MLB Extra Innings package (or MLB.tv, greatest $100 I've spent all year) and I'll have something to watch every night of the week.

This makes early September a bit awkward, as the second love of my life is resurrected from seven months of dormancy. Here we have the stretch run of baseball, quite possibly the second most important month in the sport, and opposite it is the NFL, which evokes a completely different feeling. It's man taking out aggression on man, where baseball is man taking out aggression on a round ball with a cylindrical stick.

Yes, I watched my fair share of baseball this weekend, though that's not to say I didn't spend time with my other love. It's quite easy, actually, to flip back and forth between football and baseball because they're both play-based games. There's a stop in the action between each play, meaning enough down time to hit the “r-tune” button on the remote and catch up with the happenings in the other game.

Such is the way it went on Saturday. I didn't want to miss the Yankees try, try again with Cy Loewen nor did I want to miss Penn State/Notre Dame. They played opposite each other, and I managed to miss little on each end, though I was more adamant about seeing the Orioles on offense, since Wang was once again up to his crafty ways. Perhaps the greatest story to emanate from the 2006 Yankees is the emergence of Chien-Ming Wang. He showed flashes of serviceability surrounding a shoulder injury last year, but it was a long shot to predict that he'd turn into arguably the Yankees most valuable pitching weapon. Say what you will about Mike Mussina and how his brilliance salvaged the first half of the season; right now, Wang is the ace of the staff.

We'll get a more telling peek at the state of the Yankees pitching staff over the next few days. First comes tonight, as Randy Johnson gets a chance to prove that his recent mastery is more than just a long string of luck. He'll get four more starts for the rest of the season, which could get cut to three if the Yankees find themselves in a more favorable position come the last week of September.

I know it's a bit short today, but I have too much on my mind regarding the Jets and their season-opening victory to keep prattling on about a successful weekend in Baltimore. On a closing note, isn't it plainly obvious to everyone at this point that there is no sense in sending out Wright for the seventh inning?