Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Refreshed

Nothing like an off-day to clear your head. See, I spend way too much time thinking about baseball. Even at work, there's always something baseball related open in a Firefox tab. I'm constantly minimizing windows and pulling up phony spreadsheets so that I can mask this obsession. But it's there, and it's not going away any time soon. I've got the baseball bug so bad that I usually complain of drab off-days.

Yesterday, however, was different. Maybe it's because I know we're entering a huge stretch and I needed to gear up. Maybe it's because I've overloaded myself with baseball and I needed a day off. But whatever the reason, I'm back and in the motivated mood. The only problem is that I can't really think of anything new to say about the Yankees.

Normally, I do my thing when I get into work at 8:20 in the morning. When I sat down at the keyboard, I had nothing. I guess I could go onto a tangent about how smart Torre is for setting up his rotation so that his three best go against Chicago's three worst; that's pretty sweet. But to prattle on about that for 700 words is no fun.

My next idea was to shift up my columnist-ripping charade a day. The plan was to run it every Wednesday, but since there was no Yankee baseball yesterday, today seemed like the perfect opportunity. Too bad there weren't any egregiously moronic columns today. Except, of course, for one penned by Mr. Jay Mariotti, but I'm not touching that one. In fact, I'm just going to pretend that Mariotti doesn't even exist. He won't be missed.

Alas, I've rambled.

In researching an idea for my weekly drubbing of a print columnist, I stumbled upon Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He's not a class A moron in the Chris Russo mold (man, would I love for him to pen a weekly column), but he speaks plenty of non-baseball talk. Call it a warm-up for when I read something completely moronic.

Oh, wait, I did this morning. Mike Celizic of MSNBC wrote a piece asserting that we would, in fact, have a Subway Series this year. This is the perfect column to rip. However, the fellows at Fire Joe Morgan have, for all intents and purposes, called dibs on ripping him. Plus, they're a lot funnier than me.

I'll post my Bernie drubbing in little bit...