Monday, August 28, 2006

Carl Pavano: Big Fat Sinkin' Pussy

Read this, then puke

I told myself that after I left work today, I wouldn’t think about baseball until midnight at the earliest. For my mental stability, the best action would to be avoid thoughts of the game until waking tomorrow morning, but I know I can’t keep away for that long.

Of course, I check my mail when I get home, and there are two e-mails in my Inbox, both with the word “Pavano” in the subject line. Obviously, I broke my resolve and read the linked article, in which Buster Olney details a car accident involving our troubled starter on August 15. The gist is that he may have fractured a rib in said accident, and that is the pain about which he is currently complaining.

This has Yankeeland up in arms, and with good reason. I can understand the frustrations with Pavano, since he began his Yankee career by not pitching well, and continued by not pitching at all. I, for one, gave him somewhat of a break when May rolled around and bone chips were discovered in his pitching elbow. I had a sneaking suspicion that he had never been healthy while with the Yanks, and that basically confirmed it for me. The bone chips caused him discomfort, causing him to alter his mechanics, which led to the shoulder tendinitis and his sidelining for the second half of 2005. And then he further altered his mechanics as to favor his elbow AND shoulder, and effed up his back. It’s not scientific, but it follows a path of reasonable logic. But I digress. From the article:

Pavano was injured on the day he pitched for Class A Tampa on Aug. 15 but pitched that night anyway, throwing four innings.


Pavano’s line from that night:

IPHRERBBSOHR
4.0100150


Okay, so it’s a 30-year-old Major Leaguer going against Advanced-A players. But he put up those numbers despite having been in a car accident earlier in the day. One would think that if there was a problem, it would have been evident at that point. But since he walked only one batter and managed more strikeouts than innings pitched, you’d think he would be fine. And, according to him, he was.

His next start, on the 20th in Trenton:

IPHRERBBSOHR
4.0311050


Couple more hits, one run, higher level of competition. Everything seemed to be moving along smoothly, and once again, no complaints about the after-effects of a car accident. Next up, Columbus, another five days later:

IPHRERBBSOHR
6.0822150


Afterwards, the indication was that he was ready to go should the Yankees need him. But, oh, now is a great time to bring up that injury, Carl. You know, because you wouldn’t want to go through the pressure of pitching in New York, now would you?

And, as an update, the Yankees have removed any news of Pavano’s injury from their official website. I have no idea what this could possibly mean at this point.

Update: Thanks to Pete Abraham for keeping us on the up and up. Here are some quotes in which Carl basically admits that he's a pussy:

"I'm going to keep moving forward to the big-league club," Pavano said. "I don't feel (the injury) will hold me back. But if I feel it's something that's going to jeopardize my arm or the team, those are things I need to take into account. I can't be selfish and feel like I have to prove to the world that I can pitch through this."


No, Carl, you do have to prove to the world that you can pitch through this. Had you succumbed to injury in, say, June or thereabouts, that might be a valid statement. But at this point, with the amount of time you've missed and the progress you've recently made, you need to get your ass out there and pitch.

From Peter himself:

Pavano said on a conference call that the "only reason" he told the team was that the injury wasn't getting better. He seems to be in clear violation of his contract, which obligates him to inform the team of any change in his health or injuries. The Yankees could make a move in terms of trying to invalidate his contract.


Pretty please?