Monday, July 31, 2006

Musing on Jason Schmidt

Even though he was rumored to be unavailable, it appears Brian Sabean is still listening to offers for Jason Schmidt. The Mets made an offer, as I noted in the previous post, that centered around Lastings Milledge. This got me to wondering.

But before I got to wondering too much, I read the following tidbit in the linked story:

Schmidt, who is 7-7 with a 3.18 ERA and will be a free agent after the season, became a 10-and-5 player as of midnight ET last night, meaning he can reject any trade. So even though the actual trade deadline is today at 4 p.m. ET, the deadline for Schmidt was basically 16 hours earlier.


This does not mean Schmidt won't be dealt. Rather, it means that a deal will present a new degree of difficulty. But if the Giants are in fact packing it in and thinking about the future, Schmidt will be dealt to a contender today.

That the Mets package centered around Milledge got me thinking: couldn't the Yanks cook something up? With the addition of Abreu and the return of Matsui, Melky suddenly becomes more expendable. Not completely expendable, as I don't want anyone taking that statement the wrong way. I'm not generally advocating the relocation of Cabrera; I'm just saying that I'd give him up in a deal for Schmidt.

The problem is that I don't think Sabean will be willing to wheel and deal with the Yanks if the doors to Hughes and Tabata are closed (which they certainly are). But, for the sake of speculation, consider this proposal:

Melky, Tyler Clippard, Eric Duncan, and Jaret Wright (contract/buyout paid, just as a filler for their rotation).

I wouldn't hesitate to send those players to San Fran for Schmidt, which makes me think Sabean would reject the deal outright. The inclusion of a high ceiling guy like Austin Jackson might pique Sabean's interest, but I don't think I'd be very willing to part with him at this point. He can play center field, and you'd have to think he has Carlos Beltran potential with the bat.

Plus, by keeping an offer out on Schmidt, you help keep him out of the Red Sox hands. I fully expect Theo to make a reasonable bid on the San Fran ace.