Thursday, June 08, 2006

This Is What I Do When I'm Bored

There’s little in life more disappointing than a rainout when you’re rolling against the Red Sox. But with the injury situation and whatnot, this could end up being a blessing for the Bombers. A little rest for what’s ailin’ ya. We get a doubleheader in September out of the deal, though, which is pretty sweet. I wish there was a semblance of a chance that it would be a one-admission doubleheader.

If you’re jonesin’ for some Yankees literature, may I direct your attention to Baseball Prospectus, where Joe Sheehan has written an article titled OBP is Life. Of course, you need a subscription to read it, but I must say that my BP subscription is the best $5 I shell out per month.

[MORE]That leaves open the subject matter for today’s post. Sure, the notion of taking the night off rang loud in my head when I learned of the rain out. You know, give the old brain a break while I get acclimated to my new job. But my hunger for baseball is at an all-time high – probably because I don’t have regular access to a computer at work and have to speed-read Baseball Prospectus, The Baseball Analysts, The Hardball Times, and of course Deadspin during my lunch break. As such, I’m here to infect you with your daily dose of baseball.For some fun, I’m going to post a data table and let you make of it what you will.

A statistic with which I’ve become fascinated of late is Quality of Batters Faced. It’s rather self-explanatory. The statistic is just the average numbers for all the batters a particular pitcher has faced this season. What I’m going to do here is post the difference between Yankees pitchers’ Quality of Batters Faced and their Avg, OBP, and Slg against. I subtracted the former from the latter, so we’re playing by golf rules here.

PitcherBA DiffOBP DiffSlg Diff
Aaron Small.098.079.269
Chien-Ming Wang.016-.009-.071
Jaret Wright.032.016-.012
-.021.011-.101
Mariano Rivera-.015-.044-.147
Mike Mussina-.044-.081-.099
Mike Myers.000-.036-.091
Randy Johnson-.003.002.008
Ron Villone-.063-.028-.153
Scott Erickson-.002.058.035
Scott Proctor-.053-.046-.084
Shawn Chacon.013.038-.006


The question now is how to interpret this data. If a pitcher is in the negative, that means that he’s performing better than the averages of the hitters he faces. Therefore, those hitters must be putting up their numbers against other, crappier pitchers.

The conclusions: Mussina and Mo rock, Small and Erickson suck. Though, I guess I didn’t need the chart to tell me that.