Friday, June 23, 2006

Coming Up: The Marlins

There is one distinct disadvantage to me writing this at work: it's very difficult to keep statistic web pages open with the boss strolling by every five minutes. The text I can pass off as an article on which I'm working (for legitimacy's sake, I've got a pending article open in another window). But to have espn.com and Baseball Prospectus open and in constant reference is a bit much. So I'm just going to plug away and hope that I don't make some egregiously false statement.

Let's start off with tonight. This will be only my second Yankees game this year, which is a complete disappointment. Last year in late June, I'd hit five already, having seen everyone on the staff pitch except Wang. And because of that freak rotator cuff injury, I wasn't able to see Wang when I returned to the stadium in August and September (though I did witness Chacon nail down a huge win in late September).

Tonight marks the first time I'll see Wang in person, and I'm kinda torn on how I feel about it. He's been lights out of late (2-1, 2.96 ERA, 1 save in June), placing rather lofty expectations on the evening. Plus, I'm going with some buddies I haven't seen in quite some time, and witnessing a Yankees loss to the $15 million Marlins isn't exactly what we have in mind. The clincher here: Chad Moeller is pitching for the Marlins tonight. Guy is terrible, and the Yankees should (should) have him out of the game by the fifth. That's not to say it's a certainty, as we've all seen the Yankees make fifth starters look like Cy Young candidates.

Tonight also marks the third time Andy Phillips will be starting in my presence (or at least it's expected with the return home). Each of the past two times, he's gone deep. I'm not putting any pressure on him or anything, but it'd sure be nice to see another...

If I hear one more person mention a trade for D-Train, I'm just going to snap.

I have some more thoughts, but I think I'm going to put them in a separate post. It's boring enough here at work that I think i can get away with it.