Friday, May 05, 2006

Yanks 10, Rays 5


PlayerWEPitcherWE
Cano.129Sturtze.024
Damon.122Proctor.016
A-Rod.115Myers.009
Giambi.114Johnson-.274
Matsui.107
Posada.067
Williams.062
Sheffield.026
Jeter-.014
Crosby-.053


Signs you’re getting over the hill: you falter against a lineup contained the previous night by Jaret Wright. Thankfully, we still have that 1,000 run offense, and could overcome Randy’s faults to overpower the D-Rays 10-5.

I don’t even want to talk about Randy, because I’m going to get all fired up and say things I really don’t mean. And then when he rolls around and dominates in his next start, I’ll look the fool. So, while I may have the urge to throw a right cross at his bird-like craw, I’ll refrain for the time being. Repeat after me: he’s still Randy Johnson, he’s still Randy Johnson.

[MORE]At least there was a happy ending to his start. He did, after all, retire the final six batters he faced in order, which is the opposite of normal proceedings. I guess he made a few in-game adjustments, and that allowed him to last through seven innings. Which, I have to say, is at least mildly impressive, considering his relative ineptitude in the first five innings.

To offset Randy’s performance, the bats had to come alive and bring the Yanks all the way back. I’ve been noticing that when it comes to Win Expectancy, one or two guys usually rise right to the top, with the rest falling in the middle and turning in performances under the 10 percent (.10) mark. That’s fine, because this is a team and sometimes one or two guys need to bear the entire load. But yesterday, five Yankees finished above the 10 percent mark, and only two hitters (three total with Randy) were in the negative – and none more than 53 percent (Bubba).

As with most nights at this point, I usually run through the game on MLB.tv when they post the archives around 11. I work until nine on most nights, and am seriously like a crack addict when it comes to checking the score. However, I still need to see what happens, because without visual observation, I’m just a stathead (not that there’s anything wrong with statheads). Anyway, I got into my car after work and turned on the radio (already pre-set to 880 AM) to hear Sterling’s booming voice.

“THAT BALL IS HIGH! IT IS FAR! IIIIIT ISSSSSS GONE! IT’S A GRAND SLAM! POSITIVELY, COMPLETELY DEMONIC! JOHNNY DAMON GRAND SLAM INTO THE RIGHT FIELD SEATS!”

My friend Liz was in the car at the time. Raised by her father to loathe the Evil Empire, she had to put her fingers in her ears and sing a little song while I basked in the glory that is Johnny Damon. She later admitted she was on the brink of throwing up when I did my little fist pump.

Too bad the Red Sox were able to actually win one against the Blue Jays. It seems the Yankees have overcome last year’s kryptonite-esque reaction to the Devil Rays, but the Red Sox are still having the same difficulties with the Blue Jays. That’s going to benefit us mightily if this trend continues down the stretch.

Rangers up next, and I think I’m going for a whole new post to preview them.