Monday, May 29, 2006

Some Weekend Notes

I’ve got a few minutes before I have to head out for work (yes, on Memorial Day. But I get out early. And it’s my last week working in retail EEEEVVVVVVVEEEEEERRR. So I’ve got that going for me.), and I figured why not drop a little post-weekend post, since the Yanks are inexplicably not playing on freakin’ Memorial Day. This makes sense how?

As far as Friday night goes, well, let’s try to put that one behind us. I’m getting fired up just thinking about the sight of Kyle Farnsworth and his home run ball to Angel Berroa. Yes, he who has a mere 40 home runs in 1983 Major League at bats took Kyle Farnsworth deep with two out in the eighth inning of a tie game. I’m kind of wishing I could get a better quality feed from MLB.tv so I could take a gander at the consistency of his release point. I’ve got a shiny penny saying that it’s all over the place, especially on his slider. Guy looks like he’s trying to throw too hard and holding onto the ball toooooooo long. But that’s just what my eyes are telling me, and we all know how deceptive that can be.

It seems that I’m going to tangent off the weekend games in just a minute, so I want to throw this little ditty in where it’s still kind of relevant. But did anyone else listen when the Yanks commentators were talking about the Royals organization this weekend? This is why we need regular dudes calling games: they won’t suck up to piss poor clubs that care zero about their fan base. An excerpt:

“The Royals are a team rebuilding with a lot of young prospects.” Are you kidding me? Their farm system is rated 23rd by Baseball America, and have not ranked higher than 15th since 2001. They have a total of three prospects on the Top 100 list, one of which was with the Major League club this year. You’d think that’s good, except the fact that of the 16 days he was with the club (we’re talking about 1B prospect Justin Huber here), he appeared in five games, amassing a mere 10 at bats. And yes, he was benched in favor of Doug Mientkiewicz, bearer of .253/.333/.361 batting line, which puts him among the worst first basemen in the Majors.

If there are outfielders worse than Terrence Long, I must find them, just so I can say, “look, we’re not giving starter at bats to the worst outfielder in the majors; just the second/third worst.” Should he play Tuesday, it will be his seventh game with the team; it took Tony Womack seven games to record his first extra base hit. If Long fails to do so, well, I guess that speaks volumes about him.

Speaking of Womack, how did it get under my radar that he signed with the Cubbies? And how has no one pointed out the hilarity of Tony Womack playing for a team owning a 5-23 record in May, worse than the Kansas City Royals. Oh Tony, your sad attempts to pass as a ballplayer amuse me.

Final note. Here’s Melky’s line thus far: .294/.379/.333. Matsui’s line before breaking his wrist: .261/.353/.454. I know Melky is subject to a small sample size (as is Hideki), but from a mere production standpoint, there’s not too much of a dropoff here. A little bit of power, yes, but that’s why you have Sheffield, A-Rod, and Giambi in the lineup. This bodes very well for next year.