Friday, May 12, 2006

Red Sox 5, Yanks 3


.150
PlayerWEPitcherWE
Jeter.196Villone
Williams.069Chacon.114
Posada.057Myers.087
Crosby.036Farnsworth.055
A-Rod-.049Rivera-.072
Damon-.175Sturtze-.094
Cano-.189Proctor-.176
Giambi-.193
Cairo-.324


Housecleaning note: I charged Cairo half for that Loretta infield single. I think that was the most fair way to assess it. I also charged Bernie half for the misplay of the Gonzalez ground rule double. This is why the pitchers look so good in the above chart.

But no table or graph can bring back Matsui. Despite his slow start, he still ranked fifth among AL left fielders in OPS. He’ll be replaced by a Bernie Williams/Bubba Crosby tandem that will likely top out at a .700 OPS. It’s shortly after 10 a.m. at the time of this writing, and no official announcement has been made as to Hideki’s replacement, speculation leans towards Kevin Reese. A big thank you to the front office for completely ignoring the fact that Kevin Thompson showed promise this spring. Bringing up Reese over Thompson makes exactly zero sense.

Peter Abraham wants to swing a deal for Soriano, even if it costs Eric Duncan. While this isn’t a terrible idea, I don’t think I want to forfeit prospects for a free-swinging, bad attitude player. It all depends on the price tag, so if Jim Bowden is willing to take a few fledgling prospects and Bubba Crosby, so be it. I just think he’ll end up holding out for more than the Yankees should be willing to offer.

The worst part of the injury is that this places more emphasis on Sheff upon his return. Considering the contract situation, I don’t want to be putting too many eggs in his basket.

You know what? I really don’t want to think about it. Because the more I do, the more pissed I get at the whole situation. And the more I read, the more I realize that we’re not seeing Hideki until August, and even then he probably won’t have enough strength to be effective until late September. There is nothing worse than breaking a small bone; I’d much rather fracture my tibia than my ankle.

Paging A-Rod: now is the time to step up.