Thursday, April 20, 2006

Yanks 3, Blue Jays 1

That was the win we were looking for, baby! Finally, a winning contest decided without piling up nine or more runs. As much as I hate riffing on the same idea that anyone in the YES booth brings up, it really was the focal point of the game. Well, that and another No. 2 starter caliber performance by Moose.

Here’s why I’m beginning to have a bit more faith in Mussina. It’s his walk year. He’s 37 years old. The guy more than likely wants to be around for at least one more year. So he, being the intelligent Stanford guy he is, is bearing down this year, focusing to an unprecedented level, and really getting into the heads of hitters. Guy can barely hit 90 on the gun and still manages seven strikeouts over seven and a third innings.

I’m sure the Yanks won’t pick up his $17 mil option for 2007, but there is surely a place for him in the rotation at a salary of maybe $11 million if he continues to perform like this.

Unfortunately, that’s all I’m gonna have today. I’m at a friend’s house, and like the dumbass I am, left the WE charts and all my game notes at home. I’ve got something I wrote a while back to put up tomorrow.