Tuesday, March 14, 2006

George's Fear Becoming A Reality

Of course, Johnny Damon is the first Yankee bitten by the injury bug.

Damon’s shoulder – his throwing shoulder – started bothering him several days ago and he discussed the injury with Yankee GM Brian Cashman Sunday after pinch-hitting in Team USA's victory over Japan and Damon said Cashman thought "it was a good idea" if Damon took a break from throwing.

Damon said the injury "is just a problem for the short-term. Long-term, I’m good, but we’re playing it safe. Obviously, I would love to be in there and do what I can, but we’ve got to wait, which kind of stinks.


Just wonderful. And I'm not completely sold on that whole "problem for the short-term" jabber. Damon would never admit that this could be a long standing problem, not at this stage of the game.

Also of intrigue is this paragraph:

Teams in the WBC can make roster changes between rounds if there is an injury and Damon said that would be "up to Buck (Martinez, the Team USA manager). I'm going to let him run his roster. We have to have respect for the Yankees also. I would love to be able to be here and help the US team, but if that’s not possible…"


What I want to know is, did Johnny just kind of trail off at the end there, or were his comments cut out -- in "yadda yadda yadda" fashion -- with the three periods? I would have liked to have read something like, "I would love to be able to be here and help the US team, but if that's not possible, I'll head back to Tampa to rehabilitate my injury."