Thursday, March 23, 2006

Game of Shadows

In the light of my recent Bonds bashing, I'd be remiss not to mention the recent headline over at ESPN.com regarding Sheff and Giambi's relation to steroids.

At this point, I don't want to hear about Giambi; we did this dance last year. He knows what he did, he knows it was wrong, and all but apologized for it prior to last year. I'm willing to accept that, mainly because it's well more than anyone else involved in the BALCO case has done.

Sheff is a different story. Listen, there's no doubt in my mind that Sheff used steroids at one point. I have his rookie card, so I can see the tremendous bulk he's added. However, he seems to have added this bulk gradually, rather than over one off-season like Bonds. And when accusations were levied, Sheff stepped up and said to the press -- not just in sealed Grand Jury testimony -- that he unknowingly used "the Cream" as a rehabilitation tool.

But Game of Shadows alleges that Sheff was on an injectable testosterone. Something tells me that's not something you can unknowingly take, unless he thought he was receiving the injections for an injury, a la "The Cream." We'll see. I actually intend to pick up the book in approximately 20 minutes.